The CSSD Technician processes reusable items through the decontamination, sorting, wrapping, sterilizing, distribution, and storing procedures. Responsible for routine technical tasks in each work area of CSSD for the production and delivery of safe instruments, supplies, and equipment for patient care delivery. Works flexibly and cooperatively while always following Hospital Policies and Procedures and reflecting the Mission, Vision, and Objectives of the Nursing Department and Hospital.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect or receive contaminated instruments and equipment from all hospital areas.
- Check all items received and log them in.
- Perform routine procedures in Decontamination Area, sort contaminated items, and thoroughly clean routine surgical instruments and equipment following manufacturers’ instructions and established guidelines for effective bio-burden removal.
- Inspect instrumentation for surface corrosion and test for working conditions.
- Assemble and package basic instrument sets and routine procedural trays using the Operating Manual and AAMI recommended packaging materials and techniques.
- Load and unload sterilizer chambers without damage to the integrity of packages, according to Operating Manual procedures and AAMI.
- Report any missing items, and where appropriate, assist in completing the OVA report.
- Soft wrap and sterilize medical instruments and equipment.
- Check all sterilizers to ensure they are working correctly using Bowie-Dick and biological testing.
- Inspect and de-lint freshly laundered linen when received from the laundry service.
- Fold and assemble basic linen items.
- Transport single-use supplies and sterile items to patient treatment areas according to Infection Control Policy and Operating Manual procedures.
- Answer requests from OR.
- Receive and clean utility pans and basins from patient care areas.
- Assist in checking supply levels and delivery areas.
- Certification in CSSD specialty from a recognized organization.
- At least two (2) years of working experience in CSSD in an acute care hospital.
- Able to communicate well in both written and verbal English.