Respiratory Therapist is for providing respiratory care to assigned patients. Responsible for the administration of therapeutic drugs with potentially serious side effects and use of diagnostic and technical equipment/instruments and manipulative, diagnostic, therapeutic modalities ranging from simple sputum induction to complex mechanical life support ventilator management. This includes continually evaluating and documenting the progress/responses of patients receiving any technical modalities. Independent judgment is required due to the technical nature of care rendered. Work performed during assigned rotating shifts. Receives general guidance and technical direction from the Head Respiratory Therapist.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates and manages all assigned patients receiving mechanical life support ventilation. Consults with specialty or general physician regarding any parameter adjustments and institutes prescribed changes of life support ventilator.
- Provides evaluates and documents the administration of incentive spirometry, oxygen therapy, aerosol therapy, mechanical ventilation management, sputum induction, and chest physiotherapy as prescribed for the patient by the attending physician.
- Performs bedside pulmonary mechanics testing for the diagnostic evaluation of a patient’s pulmonary status.
- Obtains, analyzes, and assesses arterial blood gas and acid-base data, reporting the same to prescribe and/or attending physician.
A minimum of:
- Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy and/or Associate’s Degree in Respiratory Therapy.
- Current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support ( BCLS ).
- Other Life support courses as per the assigned area.
Experience: Two (2) years post-graduate experience, preferably 6-12 months ICU/NICU as Respiratory Therapist.
Competencies & skills:
- Fluency in verbal and written English.
- Exhibits professional and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computer systems.
- Good command of medical terminology.